The Fleas In Rockville Can Be A Real Pain
November 20, 2022
Having fleas in your home can put a real damper on your peace of mind. What may start as just a few fleas can quickly multiply into a full-blown infestation. Since fleas are so tiny, there’s no telling where they may be hiding, and it’s nearly impossible for homeowners to find and remove every flea on their own. To remove fleas from your home and stop a “flea-for-all” in its tracks, you’ll need to enlist the help of a trusted Rockville pest control company.
Read on to learn what fleas look like, how to identify fleas, and how fleas in Rockville can be dangerous. In addition to taking a deeper dive into flea identification and behaviors, we’ll also highlight six useful flea prevention tips so you know how to get fleas out of your home—and keep them out for good.
Is This A Flea?
Fleas are tiny; thus, they can be very easy to overlook. They grow to 2.5 millimeters long and have small, thin, oval-shaped bodies. Fleas are wingless and range in color from brown to mahogany, depending on when their last feeding was.
Fleas are often mistaken for bed bugs, springtail mites, dog ticks, flour beetles, and black carpet beetles, so knowing how to identify fleas can help you avoid misidentifying your pest problem.
Fleas In Rockville Can Be Dangerous
Fleas are often viewed as nuisance pests, but they can cause bigger problems than just being a minor inconvenience. Some flea species also carry bacteria which is transmitted when they bite. This bacteria can cause:
- Cat Scratch Fever
- Flea-Borne Spotted Fever
- Murine Typhus
Though they aren’t a serious health risk to humans, fleas bites are still itchy and irritating; scratching these inflamed bites can lead to secondary infections.
Our pets, especially cats and dogs, are at higher risk than humans when exposed to a flea infestation, suffering from discomfort, infections, diseases, tapeworms, allergic reactions, and even anemia caused by flea bites.
Six Ways To Keep The Fleas Away
If you’re experiencing an infestation, it can feel like you can’t get rid of fleas. Fortunately, there are several ways you can keep fleas away:
- Contact A Trusted Pest Control Expert: Womack Pest Control is a local, family owned and operated pest control company serving Rockville and surrounding areas since 1943. Our equipped, skilled pest management specialists can handle flea infestations and many other common pest problems in our area.
- Vacuum Regularly: When fleas enter a home, they are commonly found in carpets and throw rugs. They may hide in other areas like underneath baseboards, furniture, and around pet beds. Vacuuming on a regular basis can help with controlling fleas.
- Keep Up With Yard Maintenance: Overgrown grass, leaf piles, and fallen debris such as twigs and branches can attract fleas and other pests that may carry fleas. Clearing this debris will alleviate flea hiding spots.
- Treat Your Pets: A common way that fleas enter homes is on our pets. Work with your local veterinarian to find a safe solution for your pet.
- Use Essential Oils: Mix a few drops of essential oils—fleas dislike vinegar, citrus, lemongrass, rosemary, mint, and cedarwood—in a water-filled spray bottle and spray throughout your home.
- Plant Flea-Repelling Plants: Fleas dislike certain scents. Planting catnip, chamomile, citronella, chrysanthemums, eucalyptus, and lavender around the yard may help to repel fleas.
How To Get Fleas Out Of Your Home For Good
The first step in getting rid of fleas or pests is contacting your local pest control company for assistance. Womack Pest Control is here to help Rockville residents and business owners regain their peace of mind by eliminating fleas and other pests. We have over 70 years of pest control experience, and our pest management specialists are trained to identify local pests and administer specialized solutions that are effective and reliable.
If you need flea treatments in Rockville, give us a call today and we’ll help keep your home or business flea-free!
What Womack Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Very thorough, Quality of work is better than any franchise companies!
Contact Womack Pest Control Today!(301) 851-6529
Reach out to us for pest control in the Washington D.C. area.