A Helpful Spider Prevention Guide For Rockville Homeowners
February 08, 2023
You have probably had the experience of relaxing with the family in the living room, chatting or watching a movie when, all of a sudden, someone screams, "There's a spider on the floor!" As soon as the alarm sounds, everyone springs into action, grabbing a shoe or rushing to kill it while others run out of the room. Isn't it amazing how a little eight-legged creature casually crawling across the floor disrupts an entire group of people?
If spiders are ruining your family nights or if you are tired of running into cobwebs, you need the Rockville pest control team from Womack Pest Control. We have been removing spiders from local area houses and giving homeowners peace of mind since 1943. We understand how disruptive these little pests can be, and we are here to help you. Since we often get asked questions about spiders, here is a brief article with some answers to help you understand this elusive pest.
Characteristics Of The Common Spider
Despite their differences, spiders in Maryland share the following characteristics:
- Active at night: Spiders are nocturnal; they hunt prey at night and create webs while you sleep.
- Eat meat: Spiders don't eat animals, but they are carnivores who consume insects. Most spiders catch victims in their webs, but others hunt them down.
- Need moisture: Spiders nest in humid areas or around water sources.
- Have eight legs: Spiders are arachnids, and unlike insects with three pairs of legs, spiders have four pairs of legs.
- Many eyes: Although some species have two eyes, most spiders have two or more rows of immovable eyes for a total of eight eyes. Most spiders have poor eyesight.
- Not aggressive: Spiders do not attack humans and bite only when threatened or touched.
- Not insects: Spiders do not have antennae or wings. Spiders are arachnids and not insects.
- Are reclusive: Spiders prefer to nest in dark corners in undisturbed areas of the house and avoid humans as much as possible.
Spiders vary in size, color, habitat, and danger to humans, but these are characteristics of common spiders in Maryland.
A Spider Infestation Often Indicates A Bigger Problem
Spiders prefer to stay outside of your Rockville home; however, they will enter if there is a food source in the house. Insects are spider food, and spiders in the house indicate a large insect population exists in or around your home.
A spider population of household spiders in your Rockville home may be due to an abundance of disease-spreading insects like cockroaches, mosquitoes, and flies. Not all insects spiders consume (i.e., moths, butterflies, crickets, and ants) spread disease; however, these insects can contaminate food products and surfaces in the house.
Six No-Sweat Spider Prevention Tips For Around The House
Spiders are a part of the ecosystem outside of homes, but not inside! Here are six easy tips to get rid of spiders so you can relax and enjoy time with your family.
- Seal foundation cracks with caulk.
- Prune shrubs and trees away from the house.
- Repair holes in window and door screens.
- Replace incandescent outdoor lights with LED lights.
- Remove debris from the yard.
- Remove clutter from the garage, basement, and attic.
Maintaining a clean and dry lawn and limiting outdoor light usage at night will deter insects from gathering around your Rockville home, and if insects don't come around, neither will spiders.
Professional Pest Control Makes For The Best Spider Control
Taking steps to prevent spider attractants to your house is helpful for long-term success, but the best way to get rid of spiders in the house is to hire our technicians from Womack Pest Control. We will inspect your Rockville home to identify the conducive conditions, hot spots, and entry points. We will create a custom plan and effectively treat your home. Contact us today and get started!
What Womack Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Very thorough, Quality of work is better than any franchise companies!
Contact Womack Pest Control Today!(301) 851-6529
Reach out to us for pest control in Rockville, MD and the surrounding areas.