Everything Rockville Residents Should Know About Bed Bugs
June 09, 2022
Bed bug infestations can be overwhelming, and it’s important to know whether you’re dealing with bed bugs or another pest. Here’s what Rockville homeowners should know about identifying bed bugs by appearance, other signs of a bed bug infestation, what bed bug bites look like, and when to call for pest control in Rockville if you’re spotting these signs of bed bugs around your home.
What Do Bed Bugs Look Like?
Bed bugs can look different, depending on the stage of life they’re in:
- Bed bug eggs: While you may have trouble spotting them in the dark, bed bug eggs have white coloring and may look similar to white poppy seeds. You may also see empty eggshells that get left behind after a nymph hatches.
- Nymphs: Adolescent bed bugs, also called nymphs, are a little bit smaller than adults and more difficult to spot, but you can still see them with the naked eye. Newly-hatched nymphs aren’t much bigger than the head of a pin, and they’re white and tan until they start feeding.
- Adult bed bugs: When they’re full-grown, adult bed bugs will only be the size of an apple seed with flat, oval-shaped bodies. Most bed bugs have dark brown coloring, although they may look more reddish-brown if you spot them after feeding. Adults also have wing pads on their back, but they never develop into functional wings, so these pests can’t fly.
Bed bugs are notoriously difficult to spot, not only because of their tiny size, but also because they tend to stay well-hidden during the day and only come out while you're asleep to feed. Aside from seeing bed bugs, there are also other signs you can check for.
How Can I Check For Bed Bugs?
Since bed bugs are easy to misidentify, it’s important to know how to recognize other signs of a bed bug infestation. In many cases, these pests could live in your home for months before you see actual bed bugs, but these pests leave other traces of their presence.
- Bed bug shells and molted skins: You may not always see live bugs, but there’s a good chance you’ll notice the discarded exoskeletons and molted skins that these pests leave behind. As they progress through maturity, bed bugs molt five different times, and the discarded exoskeleton looks a lot like an actual bed bug, but more translucent. You can find these shells anywhere around your home, but they may pile up in places where bed bug activity is high.
- Fecal spots: These spots look a lot like smears or stains, and you may find them in places where bed bugs are active, like the corner of your room, baseboards, or the seam of your mattress. Fecal spots are small, brownish-black smears.
- Staining: While fecal spots can leave stains, that’s not the only staining you’ll get with bed bugs. When they’re feeding at night, it’s natural for a sleeping human to roll over and accidentally crush a few bed bugs as they do so. As a result, you may find tiny bloodstains on your sheets or pillowcases after you’ve slept through the night.
If you notice any of the above signs of bed bugs, call Womack Pest Control right away, before the infestation has a chance to grow.
What Do Bed Bug Bites Look Like?
While bed bug bites can be easy to misidentify as other bug bites, these bites are typically small, red, and inflamed and often appear in a line or small grouping. You may not begin itching or see the bite until a few days after you’re bitten, and it’s important to remember that not everyone reacts the same way. Some people may not have any physical reaction at all, while others get large, inflamed bites.
How Can I Get Rid Of The Bed Bugs In My Bed?
Maybe you’re noticing signs of a bed bug infestation or you’re trying to identify a live bed bug that you’ve found in your home; either way, dealing with a bed bug infestation is something to leave up to residential pest control professionals.
At Womack Pest Control, we’ve been eliminating bed bug infestations in Rockville homes for years, and we can do the same for your home. If you think you have a bed bug problem on your hands, there’s no need to let it get any worse. Contact us at Womack Pest Control today for more information about our bed bug control services.
What Womack Pest Control Customers Are Saying
Very thorough, Quality of work is better than any franchise companies!
Contact Womack Pest Control Today!(301) 851-6529
Reach out to us for pest control in Rockville, MD and the surrounding areas.